Although we might be biased, we think that Milledgeville is one of the greatest cities in the world! ( #iloveMilly ) We’ve compiled a list of ten great things about Milledgeville, but we want to know what YOU think! Tweet us at @milledgevillega or comment below!
1. The welcoming community: Whether you’re grabbing a bite to eat, or taking an evening stroll, Milledgevillians are always inviting and friendly. We love to talk about this town’s history and beauty. It’s rare to find such a welcoming community that loves the city they live in! (And be sure to stop by the Welcome Center to meet our friendly ambassador, Jackson Sinclair!)
2. Downtown’s quaintness: With nothing being more than a five-minute walk, downtown Milledgeville is the perfect size. With bars, restaurants and shops to keep everyone happy, you’ll never be bored when exploring our downtown area! Each restaurant offers different cuisines, from Italian, Mexican, Bar food and even Greek, your taste buds will always be happy.
3. Our colleges: From August-May every year, Milledgeville becomes a bustling college town. With both Georgia College and Georgia Military College located here, you’ll get to relive your glory years here! As soon as the students come back, the downtown scene is bustling with yummy happy hour specials and later operating hours.
4. Andalusia Farm: Nowhere else in the country has this claim to fame. Flannery O’Connor resided here until her death in 1964, and wrote many of her works here. Open to the public, step inside Ms. O’Connor’s day-to-day life and learn a little more about this wonderful author and person. Learn more about the farm HERE.
5. The smell of coffee on Main Street: Blackbird Coffee roasts and brews their own coffee, meaning the smell of fresh coffee wafts through downtown’s Main Street a couple times a week. If you’re lucky to be strolling through during this time, you’re in for a real treat!
6. Variety of antique shops: With such history comes a great antique scene! Located all over town, antique shops are a staple of Milledgeville! If you’re looking for the perfect piece to complete your living room, or maybe just want to remember Milledgeville’s past, you’ll find something you look at a Milledgeville antique shop!
7. Nature walks or paddles: Whenever you’re wanting to get to know Mother Nature a little better, look no further than a stroll in Milledgeville. With Oconee River Greenway and Lockerly Arboretum inside our perimeters, you’ll feel a little more relaxed here. Plus, Milledgeville’s Oconee River Greenway is one of the top spots in the nation for bird watching!
8. Porches: Milledgeville has some of the best porches! Grab a mason jar full of sweet tea, your favorite book and pop a squat on your favorite rocking chair. Many of the porches around town belong to historic homes, adding extra charm! Make sure to grab a seat during sunset, since Milledgeville is known for its beautiful sunsets!
9. Deep Roots Festival: Milledgeville’s Main Street closes down for one of the best music festivals in the south! Every October, bands from far and wide come into town and play their hearts out, while festivalgoers shop, eat, drink and rock out. This festival is one of a kind, and definitely should not be missed! Stay tuned for the 2015 line-up HERE.
10. ‘Milly’ the Trolley: Finally, our favorite little trolley, Milly! Stop by the Milledgeville CVB to book your time with Milly! Once you hop on board, she’ll take you on a tour around the city, pointing out local hot spots, historic spots and fun little tidbits about this city. There’s no better way to see the city than through Milly’s windows! Learn more about Milly HERE.